Monday, January 9, 2017

Investigation - Part 2



The interview with the Nooses approached. Steven Otto came well prepared, when he arrived at the house, where Beverly and Coldham lived in Palmetto Bay. The whole area had been severely damaged during Hurricane Andrew and the home had to be rebuilt. It was made of concrete and looked similar to the other houses in the area. The front lawn was kept immaculate.
A gentleman in his fifties opened the door. His wheat colored hair had turned grey at the temples and his hairline was receding. Having seen photographs of Fin as an adult Steven was amazed how similar father and son looked. "Mr. Noose, I'm Steven Otto. Thank you for allowing me to interview you." "You are welcome. My wife and I are very proud we can take part in your study. Please follow me." Coldham led Mr. Otto to the formal dining room. It offered seating for eight. The room was held in a maritime theme. Steven felt it was cold and suited for business entertainment. Soon Mrs. Noose arrived. She was roughly the same height as her husband and dark haired. She had stunning blue eyes. Steven and she shook hands. Beverly Noose offered Steven a seat, coffee or tea and jam doughnuts. Steven asked for coffee. After her return she told him the doughnuts came from a prestigious bakery in town. Steven was impressed.
He started his questions after eating one of the delicious treats. "As part of my study I'd like to ask you a few questions about your own childhood. Mr. Noose, do you mind if I start with you?" "No, not at all." "What year were you born, Mr. Noose?" "1953." "Where did you grow up?" "In Boston, Massachusetts.” Steven asked the questions on purpose to get a feel of Coldham's and Beverly's body language. It would make it easier later to identify when they were untruthful. "Did you grow up in a one parent family?" "No, my parents stayed married until my mother died." "Have you any siblings?" "Yes, my mother was widowed with two small children, when she met my father, so I have a half-sister, a half-brother and a younger brother." "You said you both spanked your own sons. How did your parents rear you?" "My mother was quite modern for her times. She never spanked Diane, Arthur, Stamford or me. We were sometimes trying, but instead of losing her temper my mother explained how she was feeling about a certain situation and what we should make better in the future or she forced us to make amends. For example I was once rude to an elderly neighbor. Lil had heard it and talked to me. She asked if I would like to be treated like that. When I shook my head, she said: "Mr. Aujesky is very lonely and just wanted to have a quick chat. I'd like you to go over to him and apologize besides that I expect you to visit him regularly for the next months." At first I went under duress, but I found out Mr. Aujesky was quite interesting. We developed a friendship.
When my mother could she protected us from father. He wasn't that "enlightened" and spanked my brothers and me for our misdeeds. He never touched Diane. Dad was traditional and believed my sister was my mother's responsibility." "May I ask how your father spanked you?" "Generally on the bare behind. Until I was seven he only used his hand, then a combination of hand and cane." "When did your father start to spank you?" "To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I guess maybe from three to seventeen." "That's it for the moment, thank you, Mr. Noose." "Mrs. Noose, when were you born?" "In July 1953." "And where?" "In Frostburg, Maryland. It's about 150 miles northwest of Baltimore." "Did you grow up there?" "Yes, it was not nice, a blue collar town. My father was a miner and very poor. I didn't like the town or our lifestyle, even as a small girl. I wanted to get out as soon as possible. Thinking about how to manage it, I decided I would not end up like my mother, who was a home maker. My way out was education. I studied hard and got a scholarship at the University of Florida, Miami, where I also met Coldham." For Steven it was an eye opener. He could understand why good grades were especially important to Beverly, remembering what Carol Resch had told him. "I assume your parents didn't divorce?" "No, they were married for the rest of their lives." "Do you have siblings?" "No, I'm an only child." "Did your father or mother spank you?" "My Dad spanked me. When I was misbehaving my mother warned me and if I repeated the same thing, she told me to go to my room and wait until my father was home. I knew what that meant. My mother would give my father a chance to relax a bit, before telling him about his unruly daughter and that she wanted him to punish me. I'm not sure what I dreaded more: The waiting or when I heard my father approach up the stairs. He was fair and gave me a chance to explain myself. If he still believed correction was necessary, I would get spanked. Sometimes he let me off, but it was rare." "Can I ask how your father spanked you?" "Like Coldham, always on the bare and at first with his hand, later we migrated to his slipper and when I was twelve the belt was introduced." "Up to what age did your father discipline you?" "Until I was fifteen." "Would you mind if I ask you both an intimate question?" Coldham and Beverly shook their heads. "I'd like to know from both of you if you were embarrassed when you had to bare yourself or were bared in order to get punished?" Beverly answered first: "I guess it was for me more embarrassing than for Coldham - maybe I'm wrong -, but he had someone of the same sex, thrashing him. I hated it in fact when I reached puberty. My Dad always said I needn't to worry he had seen it all before, which was true; still I dived as soon as possible over the pillow mountain on my bed. Not that I wanted to be spanked, but it was better than showing off... I couldn't care less what I showed my Dad, when the whipping was in progress. I forgot totally about being ashamed. The pain was searing and my father merciless." "Well, it was embarrassing for me too. I never liked presenting my naked buttocks for father's hand and / or cane. The cane was worse, though. He was very thorough and it hurt really a lot." "Is it right of me to assume the cane and belt left marks?" Coldham and Beverly nodded. She indicated Coldham should go first. "Yes, I had tramlines and bruises for about a week." "It was similar for me. The welts reminded me for a few days about my misbehavior, but were visible much longer than they hurt." "What made you decide to spank your sons too?" Steven asked. It was Beverly, who answered. "We agreed sometimes a sharp, painful shock was better than dragging out a punishment, making all feel miserable. When the boys were smaller it was easier to simple smack them immediately after their misbehavior. They generally dropped their behavior, and it made them better understand it was wrong what they did than explaining it." Steven didn't agree with the sentiment. He thought to avoid a mistake it was always better to be told what went wrong. Of course he didn't mention it. Now the critical point was coming. "Did you spank your children exactly the way your parents did or did you do something differently?" This time Coldham spoke: "Beverly and I thought our fathers had been too harsh, so we never used the belt or the cane. We agreed when the gravity of the misdemeanor was really serious to first give a hand spanking and then six to ten strokes with a wooden spoon." Steven thought Coldham wasn't telling the whole truth. "Up to what age did you spank your sons?" "We stopped when they turned fourteen and deemed it not suitable anymore for them." Beverly replied. Again Steven believed Beverly was lying. "Would you say you had to punish Coldham Fintan and Holiday Michael roughly the same amount?" Beverly and Coldham communicated silently. Beverly answered: "Fin was a quite wilful child, very own minded, rebellious and stubborn. He got more spankings then Mike." "So Mike was generally better behaved?" "Yes, he was in much fewer trouble at school, obedient and didn't talk back unlike Fin." Beverly answered Steven's question. Mr. Otto thought Beverly was telling the truth.
The question was had there been more going on than Beverly and Coldham were willing to admit or had Fin perceived the spankings as abuse? There were other options to consider too. The Nooses might have used stronger force or a different implement when punishing Fin or gave more strokes. Steven Otto couldn't shake off the feeling that the Nooses had something to hide. He was determined to find out what. For the time being Mr. Otto thanked Coldham and Beverly, asked if he could come back if had more questions and finished the interview. The Nooses agreed and brought the investigator to the door.
On the way to the car he passed the neighboring house. Steven thought he saw the curtain of the living room moving. If the neighbor was nosy, maybe he or she knew something about the Nooses. It was worth investigating.
Steven drove off, but returned to observe both houses.
The Nooses were obviously out all day, while the neighbor was an older lady called Randy Tomczyk. She ventured out nearly every day.
Mr. Otto arranged a "chance meeting". She was just leaving her home, when he approached the Noose's. "They aren't in." The grey haired lady told the investigator. "Really?! Sugar! I must have confused the day I should have come back!" Steven Otto pretended to be disappointed. "They normally return after 8 P.M. You should try then." "Thanks, but I have to go back to the airport in a couple of hours..." "That's tough. I've never seen you here before. Are you a friend of Beverly and Coldham?" "No, I'm conducting a study about child rearing methods. They agreed to take part. Do you know the Noose's sons maybe?" "Mike and Fin?" Steven Otto nodded encouragingly. "Of course I do. Haven't seen them in many years, though. I think Mike for about five and Fin around ten." "But you knew them as kids?" "Sure. Very different boys. I think Mike is slightly younger than Fin. I guess a year. He was outgoing and very close to his parents. Fin was quiet, but I had the impression he liked to be the boss. He wasn't close to Coldham or Beverly." "Did they treat him differently than Mike?" "I'm not entirely sure. I think Mike got away with things Fin wouldn't have." "Do you have any examples?" "Well, sometimes the kids were playing in their back garden. It borders on mine, so I could hear what was going on and see into the rooms at the back. Anyhow Beverly sometimes called the kids in to do homework or because dinner was ready. If Fin tried to stall, Beverly got angry and impatient quickly. Mike could stay in the garden longer and would get the wrath of his mother after maybe being asked five times to come in." "Okay, and how do you know Fin liked to be in charge?" "When Mike and he played, he told Mike what he expected him to do." "I see. Coldham and Beverly said they disciplined their children by spanking them. I guess you didn't notice anything, did you?" "Only once." "Really?! Would you mind telling me about it?" "I'll better ask you in then. It's a longer story." Mr. Otto had expected Mrs. Tomczyk lived in a more lavish interior, but it was astoundingly simple and clean cut. The color scheme was black and white with sparse furniture. "Coffee or tea?" Mrs. Tomczyk offered. "Coffee, please." It was Mr. Otto's fifth cup of the day. While Mrs. Tomczyk was bustling around she started telling her tale. "My husband Sebastian was much older than me. His biggest hobby was growing award winning flowers and I realised I enjoyed it too, so I continued even after his death. Mike and Fin caused me a lot of grief by playing soccer in their own garden. The ball went astray too often and damaged my roses. I had enough and confiscated the ball. Boys can be the spawn of Satan and Mike and Fin were no exception. They were upset and angry I kept the ball, so they planned their revenge. I caught them with their trousers down, peeing on my terrace. I was so angry I grabbed them by the ears and brought them next door. Beverly and Coldham made Fin and Mike apologize. They also promised me their sons would be punished and were clearly embarrassed and disappointed by their offspring's behavior. I didn't know what punishing Mike and Fin entailed. Back home I made myself a cup of tea, before I checked if the neighbor's kids had vandalised other parts of the garden. My roses were still in all their glory. Looking up I saw one of the windows on the second floor of the Noose's house open and a boy looking out. At least I had the impression. A second or so later I realised it was Fin bending over. Someone was standing behind him. It was Beverly and she was talking to Fin. I couldn't make out what she was saying. Beverly took a step back. I wondered what this was about. Then she raised something. It was a switch or some kind of stick. Beverly brought it down on Fin's behind. Three or four times. I couldn't see if Fin cried or hear him shout. His body language spoke volumes, though. It must have hurt like the dickens. I thought it was over the top. Don't get me wrong. Boys need a strong hand, but a few swats with the hand would have done the job in my opinion." "Did you mention it to Beverly or informed the authorities?" "No, Fin wasn't my son and I'm not related to the Nooses, so I couldn't tell them how to raise their children. I watched out if there were other thrashings, but didn't, so it must have been a once off." "Steven Otto was suspicious, though. “How old were the kids at the time?" "Maybe eight and ten or so." Randy Tomczyk wasn't too sure. Finishing his coffee, Steven thanked Mrs. Tomczyk and was on his way. So the Nooses had been lying. They had used a different implement than they had told him at least on Fin. Steven thought he had to talk to Mike and hoped Fin's brother was open enough to tell the truth. Maybe he could dig up other family members, who knew...

©2017

No comments:

Post a Comment