Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Investigation - Part 3



While Mike Noose didn't react to any letter sent, Stamford Noose, Fin's and Mike's uncle, was open to talk about his brother's family. The private detective had to travel to Boston. Stamford was extremely busy and asked Steve to meet him at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he worked. Stamford's office was modern and understated. Dr. Noose was wearing a white coat, white shirt and a blue tie. He looked very similar to Coldham. His hair was an even lighter shade of blond and he had brown eyes instead of blue grey. If Steve hadn't known Stamford was forty-six he would have estimated him slightly younger. They shook hands and Stamford apologized for having not much time. "You were interested in my brother and his family?" He asked brisk. "Yes. How would you describe Coldham's and Beverly's parenting style?" "Generally strict and authoritarian, but more so with Fin than Mike. He could be a pain in the butt - excuse my language. He was rebellious and constantly talking back. It must have been frustrating for my brother and sister in law, but if I would have been them I would have tried a different tack since being strict didn't work." "Have you any idea how Mr. and Mrs. Noose dealt with misbehavior?" "I definitely have seen them smacking their sons, when they were very small. Don't know what they did do later..." Stamford thought for a moment. "Sad, that my mother is dead. She and Dad spent every summer with Coldham and the rest... She could have shed more light on it." "Did she maybe ever mention witnessing a spanking?" Stamford thought about. "No." He shook his head. "Wait a moment, though. She kept a diary. There are a lot of them at home. Why don't you come by later in the evening and my wife or I can give them to you." "I would appreciate that." "Great. If you'll excuse me now. I have some work to do." "Of course."

Steven Otto was excited. There was at least some evidence Fin had been really spanked as a child. It didn't proof yet there had been any abuse, though. He hoped Lilian R. Brogan Noose's diaries would reveal more. It was hard to wait. Finally it was time to visit the Noose's home in Back Bay. A maid opened the door to the apartment and brought the investigator to the living room. Stamford Noose had changed clothing. He pulled off looking smart in his casual attire. One thing was for sure Stamford was straight forward. He didn't beat around the bush and came direct to the point. He handed over the diaries he thought could be of interest for Steven and asked for them to be returned. "I remembered something my father mentioned many years ago. He'd been to a convention in Miami and stayed with my brother. I think he said Fin had behaved ghastly. I'm not sure what he did, but he offended his grandfather so much, that he went to Coldham and Beverly and told them what Fin had done. Father said Fin got his just desert. He remarked Fin had been suitably punished, but if it had been him, he wouldn't have just used the cane." "Cane?" "Yes. I'm not sure if you are aware how we were disciplined. Father first spanked our bare butts with his hand, before moving on to the cane." "So Fin was caned?" "It sounds like it to me." 'Did he give more details? How did he know Fin was caned?" "I'm sorry, but I can't recount anymore." "Alright. Thank you for being so helpful. I will bring back the diaries as soon as I have finished reading them." Steven added in his mind: "And if necessary copy the important parts."

Lilian Rose Brogan Noose, nee Casey, kept a lively diary. Steven Otto could picture Mrs. Noose, her friends, acquaintances and family very well. He started to read from 1971, checking if he could find an entry about Coldham and Beverly. The first he found was in April 1972. In summer the same year Coldham introduced Beverly to his family. Lil, as Mrs. Noose preferred to be called, thought that her son and future daughter in law were a good match. Coldham was a lot like his father, not only physical, but also emotional.
He and Beverly were conservative, had the same outlook on life and were ambitious.
They married in 1973, graduated in 1975 and worked a year before deciding to start a family. Lil had been very excited when Fin had been born and was sad she didn't live closer. Coldham F., Lil's husband, was of the opinion they would only intrude if they showed up too often. It was arranged, though, that the grandparents and the family went on holiday together and visited regularly.
Lil was disappointed when Coldham and Beverly never really bonded with Fin. Okay, the pregnancy had been difficult, but that was no reason to resent the baby. Lil was also very surprised, when Beverly announced around four months after Fin's birth she was pregnant again. Lil believed the kids were too close together in age and it would have been better if her son and daughter in law would have waited for another year before trying to conceive again.
Mike was born two weeks early, so he and Fin were just eleven months apart.
In 1978 Beverly was in a crisis. Lil didn't know what had happened, but her daughter in law seemed seriously depressed. Lil stayed for a few months with Beverly and Coldham, taking care of the children and the household. Lil tried to build up Beverly. There hadn't been any progress when she left. Finally in the last half of the year Beverly clawed her way back.
The next entries were only interesting in regards to family dynamics. If Lil's entries were correct Mike was the preferred son. It would corroborate with what Mrs. Tomczyk and indirectly Stamford Noose had told Steven.
It got fascinating when Fin turned seven. His grandfather Coldham F. wanted to give Fin a cane as birthday present. Lil found it totally unsuitable. They argued for weeks. In the end Lil gave in. She hoped Beverly and Coldham had common sense and would throw it away or at least not use it to punish Mike or Fin.
Steven skimmed over the next nine years. He stopped dead in his tracks reading the following:

Cancun, 01.08.1993

Tonight was terrible. I missed Fin at dinner. Beverly claimed Fin was out with his girlfriend. I thought something was wrong, because there were negative undercurrents at the dining table. After we finished our meal Mike took me aside and told me Beverly and Coldham had spanked Fin with a belt. In his opinion it looked pretty bad. I thanked Mike. I needed a few moments of quiet to gather my thoughts. I was concerned. Fin maybe was too ashamed to come down for dinner or slept. I decided to get him something to eat and check on him. Based on what I would encounter I would have to make a decision to let it rest or confront his parents. The supermarket was my first stop. I bought a Manchego and quince jelly sandwich and Crème Caramel. Both were comforting and things Fin liked. Next I tried gaining access to Fin's bedroom and him to open up. He had been asleep and at first wouldn't let me in. He wore only a t-shirt and had a towel wrapped around his hips. Not a good sign in my opinion. I got him talking. Fin said: "Mom and Dad spanked me, because they believe I have stolen your brooch." It's not an expensive piece of jewellery and has high sentimental value for me. The silver brooch is shaped like a bug and the last gift Ramsey gave me.

Steven made a mental note that Ramsey was Lil's first husband, who fell during World War II, before continuing reading:

I guess I have lost it somewhere or forgotten where I have left it. Fin wouldn't steal from me. He knows what the brooch means to me.
I wanted to see what damage the belt had done and prepared for the worst. Getting Fin to turn around and unwrap his towel proved difficult. He finally did what I asked him to do by cajoling and making him laugh. It was hard for me to keep my emotions under control. I wanted to cry, comfort Fin and scream or march off and make a scene. Beverly and Coldham wouldn't have deserved it better. Fin had been abused. His behind was covered in overlapping, angry red welts and black bruises. It must have been incredible painful. Fin covered himself again. He bared his feelings instead and said: "It's not so much the physical pain that hurts. They don't trust me and call me a liar even when I tell them the truth. I didn't take it." "I believe you, darling." I hugged him, but felt he was uncomfortable with me trying to console him, so I released my favorite grandson and left him alone. I went to my room to vent some of my emotions. I had come up with a solution, so that my son and daughter in law would never ever punish Fin physically. I knew how to get through to them. When I found them at the bar I confronted them and threatened to inform the press and anyone else, who would listen to me, that they were child abusers. They don't want a scandal and since they know Fin and I are very close they can't make sure Fin won't mention a spanking in the future. I think they will never touch him again. Of course I will also speak to Fin and re-enforce he can come anytime to me if he has problems with his parents. If he will do so is another question...
Over the next few days Lil wrote about her feelings. She also tried to get out of Fin, if they had used the cane on him in the past. He clamped up. At first Fin was polite, then he got impatient and angry. Lil didn't want to risk her good relationship with Fin, so she let it be. She didn't leave the matter alone, though, and asked Mike. Fin's brother hadn't any problems admitting he had been spanked. Coldham and Beverly didn't discipline him that way since he turned fourteen. In the very worst case Mike had received first a hand spanking and then half a dozen smacks with a wooden spoon. Having unwittingly stepped into Fin's punishment he thought his brother always got the belt or some other implement, because Fin had complained even days after being punished how much sitting hurt. Before Mike had believed Fin was seeking attention. He doubted it now. Lil shuddered, thinking how much misery Coldham F.'s birthday present many years earlier had caused. She was sure the cane and Fin were very well acquainted. She came to the conclusion based on Fin's unwillingness to talk about discipline, the brutal treatment he had received during the vacation and Mike's description.
Lil was disappointed in her son. She had hoped her own example would influence Coldham stronger. Unfortunately she had failed somewhere and felt guilty. At least she prevented further punishment.
Lil was proud her other children had managed to teach lessons without spanking.
During the vacation Lil found the brooch at the very back of the in room safe.
The rest of the diaries didn't reveal anything important. It was a break through, though. It confirmed for the first time Fin had been punished with a different implement than the Noose's claimed to have used.
Steve wished there would have been photos. If the welts and bruises were visible he had the proof. It was still only hearsay, but he saw no reason why Lilian Rose Brogan Noose would lie in her diaries. It was written only for her own eyes. Steve had to talk with Mike. He believed Fin's brother was the key. Mike was still elusive.


©2017


No comments:

Post a Comment